Ordering Paneling: The Questions You Should Ask
It is important that you ask the right questions in order to prevent any unwanted surprises.
• What are the differences between the different wood essences
• What are the available grades (consistency of the planks, knots, colour)
• Dryness of the wood (it is essential that your wood is dry enough so it won’t warp)
• Finishing quality
• Plank dimensions (length and width once installed)
• If a factory finishing is possible (this will save you A LOT of work!)
• Packaging and delivery conditions
Investing in a quality product will allow you to enjoy the beautiful look of wood for many years without hassle.
How Much Paneling To Order
Some retailers sell paneling by the square feet, other by linear feet. Make sure to calculate the surface you want to cover, considering the length of the paneling planks and adding 10% more to cover losses.
You are now ready to order !
Your Order Was Delivered! Now What?
Once you receive your order, make sure everything was delivered right. Check if you got the right profile/model, the right colour and the right quantity. This is when you should notify your vendor of any discrepancy so they can fix it in a timely manner. Do not wait until the installation is complete.
If you have to store the paneling for a while before installing it, find a dry place, make sure you have at least a 6” (15 cm) gap between the floor and the wood and keep the temperature between 10℃ and 49℃.
The wood should never have any contact with water or excessive humidity. If the wood absorbs too much humidity, the planks will expand and when they dry again after installation, they will contract and cause gaps.
Wood Paneling: Hassle-Free Installation
You will need :
· ¼ staples or finishing nails
· Pneumatic nail or staple gun
· Air compressor
· Laser level
· Manual level
· Mitre saw
· Contour gauge
· Finishing blade
· Narrow brush or applicator
*Using glue is not recommended since it will prevent natural airflow behind the paneling wall.
- Remove all baseboards and moulding and all nails, screws and fasteners from the wall.
- Remove all outlet and/or switch covers from the wall.
- Install furring strips according to the orientation of the paneling you want to install.
- a. To install vertical paneling, furring strips should be fastened horizontally. This will make the ceiling look higher but can make a room look narrower.
- b. To install horizontal paneling, furring strips should be fastened vertically. This will make a room look bigger, but can make the ceiling look lower.
- Measure a gap between the floor and the paneling and using a level, draw a line for a perfectly straight installation.
- If you installe the paneling horizontally, always start at the bottom of the wall.
- The tongue part of the plank should face up and the fastener should be placed in the groove of each plank. As it is done for hardwood flooring, fasteners should be placed at 45° in the corner of the tongue side of the plank.
- The groove of the next plank can now sit on top of the fastened tongue and so on.
- Planks are often sold in various lengths. To give a natural effect to your project, you should mix the lengths and stagger the joints.
The Beautiful Imperfections Of Wood
Wood bears marks that gives it personality. Whether they have knots or varied texture, grain or colour, these marks enhance the aesthetics of this noble material. At De Bois Blouin, we carefully sort all wood according to strict criterias. Even then, you might end up with some planks that have more marks or knots. You may want to remove these planks from the lot for a more uniform look. If you know you have a very low tolerance for variations in wood, you might want to increase the percentage of loss so you have enough material to finish your project.
What About Finishing?
If you wish to paint, stain or varnish your paneling, do it before the installation and don’t forget to cover the back of the plank too! This will seal the wood and protect it for years!